Redeemer Lutheran Church
3770 Bellaire Avenue
White Bear Lake, MN 55110
Position Title: Director of Worship and Music
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Purpose: To provide worship leadership that will enable the gathered assembly to glorify God, experience rich fellowship in Christian community, and grow as disciples of Jesus Christ.
- Collaborate with pastor(s) and worship planning team to plan worship for all services at Redeemer, including Sunday worship, midweek Advent and Lent services, Ash Wednesday, Holy Week, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day services, healing and prayer services, ecumenical services and other services as requested. This may include planning outdoor worship and worship at locations other than the Redeemer sanctuary on occasion. Strive to keep worship relevant, engaging and scripture-focused.
- Lead classic and contemporary worship weekly, building the congregation’s ability to sing confidently and joyfully. Plan music (congregational, instrumental, and vocal) to support scripture texts and worship themes. Integrate prayers and scripture into worship flow at contemporary service). Provide accompaniment for all worship services, selecting organ/piano, choral, contemporary and special music, including hymns, anthems, preludes, postludes, offertories and special music as planned to support worship themes and scripture readings.
- Recruit, train and direct Redeemer Chorale and Rejoice worship team(s) in leading worship and in weekly rehearsals, developing worship leadership, musical skills, and faith. Incorporate regular scripture reflection/prayer/devotional time at rehearsals to help team members grow in their understanding of scripture and their ability to provide strong worship leadership. Plan retreats and training to enhance the ongoing development of all worship team members. Provide regular opportunities for team members to try new things and to truly develop as “worship leaders.” Recruit and rehearse ensembles, instrumentalists and vocalists to provide special music for worship on a regular basis.
- Develop students for all aspects of worship leadership, seeking opportunities for youth involvement and supporting youth camps, choirs and bands as needed.
- Oversee and coordinate the directors of children and youth choirs, scheduling them for worship and supporting them through regular interaction and planning meetings as needed.
- Provide oversight for worship technology, supervising worship tech teams and planning for equipment maintenance and upkeep, including instrument maintenance and upkeep.
- Maintain and grow the contemporary and traditional music library for Redeemer. Maintain all copyright licenses to ensure legal use of music.
- Develop media for worship (slides, videos, bulletins) in partnership with Communications Designer and lay volunteers.
- Attend staff meetings and Worship and Music Ministry Team meetings regularly and council meetings as requested.
- Partner with other worship and music leaders to plan and carry out special musical events throughout the year.
- Provide worship accompaniment for weddings and funerals as needed.
- Provide for the regular maintenance of the organ, pianos and other instruments as needed.
- Passion for spreading the gospel through engaging worship
- Demonstrated instrumental (organ/piano) and vocal leadership skills
- Experience in worship planning and integrating music and media in worship
- Ability to work well with others and establish an atmosphere of collaboration and cooperation with staff and volunteers
- Strong organization skills and the ability to use computer technology to schedule volunteer worship teams
- Ability to recruit, train and inspire vocalists and instrumentalists to lead worship while developing their musical skills through regular rehearsals and special tutoring (including the ability to train vocalists to sing parts)
- Broad knowledge/repertoire of worship music
- Competence in using worship and music technology, including sound, video, projection and lighting equipment.
- Ability to use PowerPoint and other worship media (Media Shout experience is desired)
- Bachelor’s Degree in music, church music, or other related field.
- 3-5 years of experience in worship and music leadership in a congregational setting
- 2-3 years of choral conducting and contemporary music leadership experience
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to Pam Stofferahn at or Redeemer Lutheran Church, 3770 Bellaire Avenue, White Bear Lake, MN 55110.