History

Go

History

On September 14, 1958 the first service was held at Bellaire School and approximately 100 people worshiped at the first Sunday service of Redeemer Lutheran Church.

The first charter signing was October 12, 1958 and it remained open for additional signing until May 17, 1959. Ground was broken for the new Redeemer Lutheran Church building after the service on Sunday, October 26, 1958.  Approximately 130 prospective members, many with shovels in hand, formed an outline of the new building. Surrounding the area was a pasture with horses to the north and open country to the south and east. Redeemer Lutheran Church was formally organized on February 3, 1959. The constitution was adopted and offices and administrators were elected.

In 1961, the congregation saw the need for expanded space for education programs. Through refinancing and loans, an addition to the building was built. In 1964 the congregation purchased seven lots south of the original church property. The congregation gave approval to build a new sanctuary in October 1967.  Plans for the new building and renovation of the kitchen were approved December 1968. The new sanctuary was dedicated as the congregation celebrated it's tenth anniversary.